Now that you and your learner group have a solid understanding of the history and legacy of the Indian Residential School system in Canada we would like you to take on the responsibility of seeking to learn more about a specific IRS and the children that attend that particular school.
After you have chosen an IRS to look at, we ask that your group seek information about the following:
- Where was this Indian Residential School located? (Did it move to additional locations? If yes, what years did it operate in each location?)
- What are the years that this IRS was operational?
- What church or other organization operated this IRS? (Was it operated by more than one church or organization? If yes, what years was it operated by each church or group?)
- Upon whose traditional territory was this Residential School built?
- Learn about the language, culture, values, beliefs and contributions of the people who had their traditional territory imposed upon for the building of this Indian Residential School.
- Research the contributions of the tribe, or individuals from the tribe, from this traditional territory.
- Who were the children who attended this IRS?
- Where did the children come from to attend this IRS?
- Learn about the community, tribe, language, values, teachings of the children who attended this IRS?
- What were the conditions like at this IRS?
- Find stories specific to this IRS. (these could come from survivor testimony, films, dvds, newspaper articles, reports, books, memoires, etc)
- How many children died in this IRS?